Today in math we experimented with the concepts of grams and kilograms. Important concepts included:
1) A gram weighs about the same as a paperclip
2) A kilogram weighs about the same as a gallon size bag of rice
3) There are 1000 grams in a kilogram
4) Grams and Kilograms are similar to our place value system as they both work in units of 10.
The students where tasked with finding objects in the room that weighed about: 1 gram, 10 grams, 100 grams, and 1 kilogram. They then weighed the objects using the balance scales to find their actual weights. It was a fun, hands on activity and was a great way to wrap up our afternoon. Things to ask your child:
1) What was something that weighed about __________. (1 gram, 10 grams, 100 grams, 1 kilogram)
2) Which was the hardest to weigh? Why was it?
3) Which was the easiest to weigh? Why was it?
4) What are some things in our house that weigh ____________? (1 gram, 10 grams, 100 grams, 1 kilogram)
Take a look at the pictures below, it was a fun day!